Registered NDIS Provider

For Customers

We want to help and support our customers wherever we can.

The information below should help answer any of your general questions about renting with us.

You may also like to read our Customer Service Charter for more information on how we work with our customers.


How do I...


How do I look after my rent? Move to top

Rent can be paid by Centrepay, direct deposit, BPAY, EFTPOS, or at a local National Australia Bank (NAB) branch. For more information, visit our Make a Payment page

We work out how much rent you pay based on a formula from the Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ). This formula looks at your total household income and includes any money earned from wages, Centrelink benefits, and rent assistance.

The percentages may be slightly different depending on which housing program you are in.

Here is an example of how we calculate someone's rent:

Income type Income per week Rate Weekly rent

Age Pension




Clean Energy Supplement




Commonwealth Rent Assistance




Total weekly rent to be paid


If there has been a change in your household income, you have to let us know within 21 days. You will need to complete a new Rent Subsidy Application form and include proof of income for each member of your household.

Centrelink assesses your eligibility for rent assistance when you claim a payment from them. See more information here.

You may need to provide proof to Centrelink of the amount of rent you pay. We are happy to help you fill out a Rent Certificate if you need one.

You will need to visit your local Service Centre or call one of the following numbers:
Families 136 150
Indigenous Australians 1800 136 380
Job Seekers 132 850
Youth Allowance 132 490
Older Australians 132 300
People with a Disability and Carers 132 717
Students 132 490

We understand that everyone has times when they struggle with money problems. It is important that you contact us straight away to let us know if you are having trouble making payments. We will do out best to help you find a solution and keep your home.

If you ignore our calls or reminder letters, we will have to apply to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

Please call us on (02) 9722 4300 so that we can help you with budget advice, refer you to an organisation that can support you, or set up a repayment plan.


How do I make changes to my lease? Move to top

You need to speak to your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator before letting someone move into your home. You will have to complete an Application for an Additional Occupant and a home visit will need to be organised to see if the property is big enough for an extra person. If the form is approved, a new rent assessment must be done due to the change to the household.

You need to complete a Pet Application Request form and get permission from us before you think about getting a pet. Any animals may have to leave your property if you haven't been given permission to have them there.

If you want to end your lease with us, you will need to let us know before you move out and complete and sign a Notice of Termination form.

The notice periods are:

  • 21 days (for customers in periodic lease agreement i.e. an ongoing lease)
  • 14 days (for all customers in a fixed term lease e.g. a 12 month lease
  • 14 days plus an additional four (4) weeks break free lease period (for Affordable customers whose leases end within the next six months)
  • 14 days plus an additional six (6) weeks break free lease period (for Affordable customers whose leases are to expire in the first six months of the lease period)
  • 7 days for supported rentals or transitional rentals.

You also need to make sure that you have paid any outstanding debts on your property and have packed and removed all of your belongings when you leave.

The property should be left in a clean and tidy condition ready for the next person to move in.

Before you leave the property, check that you have cleaned:

  • marks off walls
  • blinds or venetians
  • windows
  • cookers and ovens
  • kitchen cupboards
  • bathrooms
  • carpets
  • sheds and garages and carports.

Please ensure sure that the lawns are mowed, gardens are weeded, and all rubbish is taken away. If you have had pets in your home, you need to make sure the carpets are shampooed and the property fumigated.

You may be charged a fee if you have not left the property in a reasonable condition.

A full set of keys must be returned by the date you have agreed to leave the property, this includes:

  • all door keys
  • any keys to shared areas
  • any window keys
  • any remote controls
  • any key fobs.

All keys must be handed over at the property during the Hume officer’s final inspection. If you return the keys late, you will be charged a day's rent for each day you don't return them.

For all other questions about ending a tenancy, contact us on (02) 9722 4300 and ask to speak to your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator.

When you sign a lease with us, you would have paid a bond against your new home. This acts as a deposit in case there is any damage to the property or if you owe us rent when you leave. It also provides you with savings if you decide to move somewhere new.

The bond is lodged with the Rental Bond Board at the Department of Fair Trading and they will send you a letter to let you know it has been deposited.

If you decide to leave your Hume home, we will conduct a final inspection to check there is no damage. If everything is in good condition and you don’t owe us any money, we will inform Fair Trading to refund your bond to you.

Make sure you provide your bank details and forwarding address on the Bond Refund Form when you complete your Notice of Termination form so we can arrange a refund.

If you are going away, you need to fill out a Customer Short Leave Request form and send it in to us 14 days before you leave. This lets us know the dates you will be away and the contact details of a friend or relative who can be called in an emergency.

If you are going away for longer than six months, you need to get approval or you may need to give up your property. Please speak to your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator for more information.

If you are going to be away from your property for more than six weeks you need to let your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator know. We will need you to complete a Customer Short Leave Request form.

Reasons for being away might include:

  • going to jail
  • an extended stay in a hospital or care facility
  • travelling overseas to visit or care for relatives.

How do I organise things like electricity and rubbish pick ups?  Move to top

When you move into your new home, you will need to set up an account for electricity and possibly gas.

There is a great choice of energy companies in New South Wales to help reduce your power bills.

Three of the most common providers are:

Origin Energy
13 24 61 and if you'd like an interpreter, call 1300 137 427
Energy Australia
133 466 and if you’d like an interpreter, 131 450
131 245 and if you'd like an interpreter, call 131 450

Energy contracts can be legally enforced, so make sure you understand the terms and conditions. If you don't understand something, ask your energy company.

Please be aware that the energy company may charge you a fee if you move or end your contract early.

There are plenty of websites that let you compare prices. If you want information on choosing an energy company, visit the NSW Department of Industry Resources and Energy website.

Most companies offer discounts or payment plans to people experiencing financial hardship.

You may be eligible to apply for:

  • Low Income Household Rebate
  • Gas Rebate
  • Life Support Rebate
  • Medical Energy Rebate
  • Family Energy Rebate

Contact your energy company for more information.

You need to let us know if your neighbours or their friends are:

  • causing a nuisance or letting a nuisance happen
  • using their home for illegal activities
  • interfering with your right to live peacefully.

We will look into the problem and try to fix the situation.

If you feel that you are in danger, you need to call Emergency on 000 and ask for help.

As a Hume customer, you are required to pay for the water you use. Some homes have a separate water meter and others share a water meter.

You can find out more about how we determine your water usage by reading Hume's Water Charges Factsheet.

Water charges, like rent, should be paid in advance. 

If your statement shows an outstanding water charge amount, this must be paid within 28 days of the bill date. How to Pay instructions are listed on your bill.

You can also read Hume's Water Charges Policy for more information.

It is your responsibility to make sure your household rubbish is put out to be collected. Rubbish and recycling should be separated and placed into different bins.

Rubbish bin

In the green rubbish bin, you can place:

  • food packaging
  • food waste
  • anything that is not recyclable
  • plastic bags and garbage bags
  • nappies
  • broken household items
  • grass clippings and small garden prunings

You should not place:

  • asbestos (including fibro)
  • building waste 
  • car parts or car batteries
  • car oil
  • syringes and needles 
  • chemicals  
  • paint
  • medicines or medical waste 
  • hot ashes
  • gas bottles.

Recycling bin

In the yellow recycling bin, you can place:

  • plastic soft-drink and water bottles
  • cans and tins
  • glass bottles and jars
  • plastic food containers
  • juice and milk cartons and bottles
  • newspapers and magazines
  • phone books
  • egg cartons
  • envelops
  • cardboard boxes.

You should not place:

  • plastic bags
  • light globes and mirrors
  • drinking glasses
  • any of the rubbish listed to go in the green rubbish bin.

Your local council will collect rubbish and recycling once a week. To find out what day your rubbish is collected, you can contact your local Council.

All local Councils will have a scheduled pick up service for large items such as fridges, beds, and furniture. It is sometimes possible to ask for these sort of items to be picked up outside of these times, but you must give plenty of notice. You may need to pay the Council if collection of your rubbish is outside a scheduled date.

Please contact your local Council from one of the numbers above to advise about their collection dates or to request a special pickup.

Please DO NOT place your big rubbish collection at the curb before Council approval. It is illegal to dump items and you can be fined.


How do I find out how houses are allocated? Move to top

Hume has a set housing allocation process. These are the steps we take to select a new customer for a vacant property. We use the same steps for every home to make sure the process is fair.

All of our decisions are based on guidelines and set rules.

Speak to our Customer Service Team or Housing Options Officers on (02) 9722 4300; they will be able to help you to apply for social or affordable rentals.

Hume do not have a separate waitlist for social rentals and all applicants are processed through the Housing Pathways system including transfers for current customers. This is the same waiting list used by Housing NSW and other Community Housing providers.

We do have our own waitlist for our affordable rentals. If you are assessed as eligible for the program, we can add you to the list and contact you when a home becomes available that suits your requirements.

Unfortunately, there are a lot more people looking for a home than there are homes available. Everyone has to wait for their turn, which only comes when the people who were on the list before them or people who are in more difficult situations have been offered a home.

The more information you give us when you apply for housing, the easier it is for us to work out your eligibility. Each person you want to live in the house needs to be assessed because rents are based on the income of all the people who live in the house. The type of house you are offered is also based on your whole family. If you deliberately give us false information, you will be removed from the waitlist.

There are a few reasons why people have different sized homes. Sometimes they have lived there for a long time and their children don't live at home anymore, or they need someone to come in and care for them a few nights a week, or for health reasons they need separate rooms or they need an extra room to store medical equipment. Hume does assess how many people live in a home and we will look at moving people to a smaller home if they don't need the extra bedrooms.

You are assessed on your family needs and we will let you know what type of property you are eligible for under our rules.

Each property has a market rent, which is what you would pay if you rented from a real estate agent. The amount of rent you pay is based on an assessment of your household income and may be less than the market rent.

Your friend's rent depends on their personal circumstances, the market rent of their property and on the housing program that they are in.

Sometimes a small, old home has a higher rent than a new home so you might pay more. This is because the home is in an area where more people want to live – maybe because it's close to schools, transport and shops.

You can read more about how rents are set in our Rent Policy.

No, you cannot pay an employee to give you a home, or offer more money to go to the top of the list. This would be illegal.

All properties are allocated to the next approved and eligible applicant on the housing waitlist. The Housing NSW Application Database is called Housing Pathways. For more information, visit the Pathways website.

Make sure you check out the waitlist for the suburbs you are interested in. Some suburbs are in high demand, which means they have an extended waiting period. You can find out which suburbs have a longer waiting period on the Housing Demand website.

If you want to move from your home, you can apply for a transfer. Your application will be assessed based on your current situation.

However, wanting to be near friends is not considered a reasonable request and your transfer will not be approved. We also cannot transfer you because of your personal preference for a different area or due to the size of bedrooms or similar reasons.

You can find out how to apply for a transfer on the Apply for a Transfer page.

If you have any other questions about your eligibility, position on the waitlist, or the fairness of how our programs work, please contact your Neighbourhood Officer on (02) 9722 4300.

We have a wonderful relationship with our customers based on mutual respect, trust and a partnership approach to managing your housing needs.

If at any time you feel a Hume employee is acting suspiciously, improperly or illegally, we ask that you speak to a senior manager and let them know your concerns.

We will protect your privacy.

We will investigate your concerns.

We will advise you of the outcome.

We will explain the rules.

To have your enquiry given to a Senior Management team member, please email: [email protected] and attention it to management.

If you haven't found the answer to your question in this list, please contact us.