Registered NDIS Provider

Hunter Customers

Frequently Asked Questions


When does the change in management happen?

Hume Housing will manage the tenancy of your home from the 2nd September 2019.


Will I have to move?

No, you will not need to move. The main difference is that Hume rather than FACS will be responsible for the management of your tenancy.


How do I contact you?

Our main number is (02) 9722 4300 and we will be available to take your calls during business hours Monday to Friday.

Outside of these times, you can speak to a call answering service (who will be able to take a message) so we can contact you the next day.

You can also email us at


How can I find out more about the transfer?

Come and meet with us at one of the drop-in sessions in May and June.

You can also email us to receive information at


How do I report a repair?

Until 2021, all maintenance requests will continue to be made through FACS by calling 1800 422 322 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

If you need to escalate a repair request, you can speak to a member of our Contact Centre on (02) 9722 4300.


Will my rent change?

Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA) is a special payment from the Australian Government to help eligible people pay their rent. 

If you are eligible to receive CRA from Centrelink, your rent will change, but more importantly, the amount of money you have left after paying your rent will not change.


Does this mean I will have less money after my rent is paid?

No. We charge you 25% of your weekly income, same as FACS (plus the CRA payment). The CRA payment will be paid directly to us.

Completing the Rent Certificate form in your Welcome Pack is important, as it means you will receive the correct amount of rent assistance from Centrelink.

Any delay in returning this form to us could mean that your rent account falls into arrears, or you could have less money left over each week.


What is a Multiple Consent Authority?

The Multiple Consent Authority (MCA) form gives Hume permission to share information with Centrelink. We recommend you say "Yes" to each of the options, so we can:

  • Download your income statements when we conduct your rent subsidy assessment
  • Start or amend your rental payments
  • Calculate the correct amount of rent assistance

An MCA form is required for each member of your household over the age of 18 years (or under if they receive any income from Centrelink).


How can I pay my rent?

To pay rent, you can:

  • Set up an automatic payment from your bank account to ours
  • Pay by BPAY
    • If you would like to pay by BPAY, please contact us for account details and reference numbers
  • Pay by EFTPOS, over the phone, or in person

Our bank account details are as follows:

Bank: National Australia Bank - Macquarie Street, Liverpool NSW 2170

Account Name: Hume Community Housing Association Co. Ltd.

BSB: 082-343

Account Number: 627952830

Don't forget to include your tenant code and what the payment is for (i.e. rent or water).

Unfortunately, we do not offer rent payments at the post office.

If you need assistance with your rent, please fill out the Rent Assistance Form.


Do I need to complete the Disclosure Consent form?

Hume takes your privacy very seriously and will never discuss you or your account with anyone else unless we have your permission, or we are required to by law.

You may need friends, relatives, or support agencies to act on your behalf. If you would like to nominate someone to talk to us, please fill out and sign the form and we will keep it on file.


Where will the Hume offices be located?

We will have two offices in the region: one located in Maitland and one in Raymond Terrace. Further details will be provided as we get closer to the date of transfer.


Will the staff be the same?

Hume will be recruiting experienced staff from the local area to provide you with first rate customer service. In addition to this, there will be a few familiar faces from FACS joining the team.


How do I stay connected?

You can:

  • Register for email updates by emailing
  • Catch up on news and activities in the Tenants Voice quarterly newsletter
  • Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter
  • Provide feedback by calling (02) 9722 4300 or speaking directly with your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator

There will also be Tenants Voice groups and meetings set up in your local area in 2019.


Win a $5,000 Home Makeover Package!

Lottery Permit No. LTPS/19/35581 


Fill out your paperwork by the 30th June to enter the draw to win 5 home makeover packages valued at $5,000 each!

This competition is only open to customers transferring to Hume in the Maitland and Port Stephens Local Government Areas (LGAs) who complete and lodge their paperwork by 30th June 2019.


Terms and Conditions 

  1. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these conditions of entry. Entry into the promotion is deemed acceptance of these conditions of entry.
  2. Entry is open to any leaseholder residing in Australia who is aged 18 years and over and who is participating in the Social Housing Management Transfer of properties in the Hunter to Hume Housing. Employees of the Promoter, the Promoter's associated companies, the Promoter's agencies associated with this promotion and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
  3. Promotional Period - The promotion commences at 12:01am (AEST) on 17th June 2019 and closes at 30th June 2019. ("Promotional Period").
  4. To enter the promotion, eligible persons must, within the Promotional Period, complete and lodge all paperwork sent to them by Hume Housing as part of the Social Housing Manager Transfer Welcome Pack. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Entrants are subject to all notices posted online including but not limited to the Promoter’s Privacy Policy and Data Collection Statement.
  5. All eligible entries will be entered into the prize draw. No responsibility will be taken for entries lost, delayed or not completed properly.
  6. The draw will take place at 11am AEST on 31st July 2019 at Hume Community Housing at 4/79 George Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150, in the presence of an independent scrutineer.
  7. The winner will be notified in writing and contacted by phone within 2 working days of the draw date and their name and locality will be published on from 2nd August 2019 for a minimum of 28 days.
  8. The first 5 eligible entries drawn will receive the winner's choice of a home makeover to the value of $5000.00

Any combination of home improvement or repairs (of the winner's choice) and household furniture, furnishings or appliances to a maximum value of AU$5,000)

The maximum retail value of each prize is AU$5,000 including GST. Total maximum prize pool value is AU$25,000.

For the full lottery permit, please click here.



Under the Social Housing Management Transfers program, the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) has transferred the management of over 2,000 homes in both the Maitland and Port Stephens Local Government Areas to Hume Community Housing.

We are thrilled by this news and are very much looking forward to taking our collaborative and inclusive brand of service into the Hunter Region and serving you.


Hume is more than a housing provider

With over 30 years’ experience, we are a leader in the Australian Community Housing sector and a safe pair of hands, delivering quality tenancy and property management services.

We have a vision to create vibrant, sustainable, and cohesive communities through the delivery of outstanding homes and integrated services. We work with you to build vibrant connected communities where people want to live and prosper.

We provide freedom of choice, we always look for ways to work smarter and more efficiently, and we advocate for your rights.


Who are our customers?

From young people, to seniors, families, people facing homelessness, people with disabilities and people with mental health challenges, we are here to support you.

We work in partnership with Family and Community Services (FACS) and Land and Housing Corporation (LaHC) to ensure your tenancy transition is a smooth one.


We're hiring!

There are more than 45 roles coming to the Hunter region provided by Hume Community Housing. 

We will post specific job descriptions once they are refined.


You can also ring us if you have questions, need help with translations. Call us on (02) 9685 6815 Mon-Fri (9am-5pm). We are looking forward to meeting you and supporting you. 


There is a list of scheduled neighbourhood drop-ins below. We encourage you to come along, bring your paperwork and we can assist you with any questions you may have:


To open, view and print PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available free from the
Adobe website.