Registered NDIS Provider

Welcome to our new Hunter customers

Come and meet the Hume Housing team:


Frequently Asked Questions


When does the change in management happen?

Hume Housing will manage the tenancy of your home from the 2nd September 2019.


Will I have to move?

No, you will not need to move. The main difference is that Hume rather than FACS will be responsible for the management of your tenancy.


How do I contact you?

Our main number is (02) 9722 4300 and we will be available to take your calls during business hours Monday to Friday.

Outside of these times, you can speak to a call answering service (who will be able to take a message) so we can contact you the next day.

You can also email us at


How can I find out more about the transfer?

Come and meet with us at one of the drop-in sessions in May and June.

You can also email us to receive information at


How do I report a repair?

Until 2021, all maintenance requests will continue to be made through FACS by calling 1800 422 322 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

If you need to escalate a repair request, you can speak to a member of our Contact Centre on (02) 9722 4300.


Will my rent change?

Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA) is a special payment from the Australian Government to help eligible people pay their rent. 

If you are eligible to receive CRA from Centrelink, your rent will change, but more importantly, the amount of money you have left after paying your rent will not change.


Does this mean I will have less money after my rent is paid?

No. We charge you 25% of your weekly income, same as FACS (plus the CRA payment). The CRA payment will be paid directly to us.

Completing the Rent Certificate form in your Welcome Pack is important, as it means you will receive the correct amount of rent assistance from Centrelink.

Any delay in returning this form to us could mean that your rent account falls into arrears, or you could have less money left over each week.


What is a Multiple Consent Authority?

The Multiple Consent Authority (MCA) form gives Hume permission to share information with Centrelink. We recommend you say "Yes" to each of the options, so we can:

  • Download your income statements when we conduct your rent subsidy assessment
  • Start or amend your rental payments
  • Calculate the correct amount of rent assistance

An MCA form is required for each member of your household over the age of 18 years (or under if they receive any income from Centrelink).


What happens if I fill out the Centrepay deduction form?

Completing this form authorises Centrelink to pay your rent from your benefit directly to Hume Housing each week or fortnight.

This is a great way of making sure your rent is paid on time and you don't fall behind in your payments. It also means any money remaining in your account is yours to spend on other essentials.

If you used the Rent Deduction Scheme to pay your rent to Family and Community Services, your payment will be cancelled prior to transfer. Centrepay is our equivalent payment method.


Are there other ways to pay my rent?

Yes. If you prefer to not have it paid by Centrepay, you can also:

  • Set up an automatic payment from your bank account to ours
  • Pay by BPAY
    • If you would like to pay by BPAY, please contact us for account details and reference numbers
  • Pay by EFTPOS, over the phone, or in person

Our bank account details are as follows:

Bank: National Australia Bank - Macquarie Street, Liverpool NSW 2170

Account Name: Hume Community Housing Association Co. Ltd.

BSB: 082-343

Account Number: 627952830

Don't forget to include your tenant code and what the payment is for (i.e. rent or water).

Unfortunately, we do not offer rent payments at the post office.


Do I need to complete the Disclosure Consent form?

Hume takes your privacy very seriously and will never discuss you or your account with anyone else unless we have your permission, or we are required to by law.

You may need friends, relatives, or support agencies to act on your behalf. If you would like to nominate someone to talk to us, please fill out and sign the form and we will keep it on file.


Where will the Hume offices be located?

We will have two offices in the region: one located in Maitland and one in Raymond Terrace. Further details will be provided as we get closer to the date of transfer.


Will the staff be the same?

Hume will be recruiting experienced staff from the local area to provide you with first rate customer service. In addition to this, there will be a few familiar faces from FACS joining the team.


How do I stay connected?

You can:

  • Register for email updates by emailing
  • Catch up on news and activities in the Tenants Voice quarterly newsletter
  • Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter
  • Provide feedback by calling (02) 9722 4300 or speaking directly with your Neighbourhood Officer or Housing Coordinator

There will also be Tenants Voice groups and meetings set up in your local area in 2019.



Under the Social Housing Management Transfers program, the Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) has transferred the management of over 2,000 homes in both the Maitland and Port Stephens Local Government Areas to Hume Community Housing.

We are thrilled by this news and are very much looking forward to taking our collaborative and inclusive brand of service into the Hunter Region and serving you.


Hume is more than a housing provider

With over 30 years’ experience, we are a leader in the Australian Community Housing sector and a safe pair of hands, delivering quality tenancy and property management services.

We have a vision to create vibrant, sustainable, and cohesive communities through the delivery of outstanding homes and integrated services. We work with you to build vibrant connected communities where people want to live and prosper.

We provide freedom of choice, we always look for ways to work smarter and more efficiently, and we advocate for your rights.


Who are our customers?

From young people, to seniors, families, people facing homelessness, people with disabilities and people with mental health challenges, we are here to support you.

We work in partnership with Family and Community Services (FACS) and Land and Housing Corporation (LaHC) to ensure your tenancy transition is a smooth one.


To open, view and print PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available free from the Adobe website.