Leasing to Hume
Community Housing Leasehold Program
You can feel confident your rental property is in safe hands with Hume’s Community Housing Leasehold Program (CHLP).
Hume Community Housing is a Tier 1 Community Housing Provider.
As a community housing provider, we have access to the Community Housing Leasehold Program (CHLP).
The CHLP is a Government Funded program (through the Dept. Communities and Justice) to supplement social and community housing stock in NSW.
The program works by Hume leasing the property from an owner as a tenant, at market value. We then sublet to our customers who are vetted by us, eligible for, and selected from the NSW housing register for social housing or through a transfer from an existing Hume property.
Hume has the lease and acts as both a tenant and landlord to the tenant, and you receive market value rent for your property, paid monthly in advance. Hume can also enter into longer-term agreements which consider rent increases and market changes.
Hume, as both a tenant and landlord, manages the Hume tenant in the property but also acts as a tenant to the property owner meaning there is an obligation to ensure Hume tenancy is managed effectively.
For whatever reason the agreement needs to end, Hume will return the property in the condition it was let in at the start of our tenancy.
Benefits of partnering with Hume
- We are a Tier 1 Community Housing Provider.
- We are trusted by Government as an outcomes-driven organisation that meets its obligations.
- We are always ready to proactively cultivate relationships that will deliver a housing benefit to our customers.
- Our robust regulation and governance standards ensure we operate with full transparency and complete accountability.
- Over 30 years’ community housing experience.
- We are a purpose-driven organisation who support our customers to sustain their tenancy.
Benefits of entering into a CHLP Leasehold with us
- Hume takes on the lease and sublets to our eligible customers.
- We lease at market rate.
- Guaranteed rental income/no arrears ever.
- If the property is vacated while under lease, you will receive ongoing weekly rent, and we secure a suitable, eligible new tenant.
- Hume is responsible for any damage or repairs that may occur.
Hume’s Fee for Service Program - The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS)
As a community housing provider, we have access to the National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS).
NRAS aims to increase the supply of new and affordable rental dwellings by providing an annual financial incentive for up to ten years. Hume utilises this scheme to provide affordable rental dwellings at least 20 percent below market rates.
Our services through NRAS are provided by way of a Property Management Agreement, which you will be required to execute to participate in the NRAS Scheme. This agreement meets the requirements of the Australian Tax Office to take advantage of the tax-free nature of the NRAS incentives.
Property Management Agreement
Under the Property Management Agreement, Hume will provide the following services:
- A dedicated Property Coordinator, who will become your key contact at Hume. Our Property Coordinator will take on responsibility for the care and maintenance of the property as per our agreement.
- An alignment with NRAS guidelines to provide you with the most suitable, eligible customer to ensure a rent is set within the agreed NRAS requirements.
- An assurance that each customer is interviewed, reference checked, and assessed against the NRAS eligibility criteria.
- We will undertake a property condition report at the commencement and termination of each tenancy.
- All tenancy agreements are appropriately signed, bonds collected, and lodged.
- A monthly statement of rents collected.
- The agreed process for escalation of maintenance repairs, within set dollar value.
- A minimum of two inspections per annum.
- Manage all tenancy breaches, including preparation of submissions to NCAT, attendance, mediation, and settlement of cases.
Want to find out more?
Other services that may be available (dependent on your individual agreement with Hume):
- Quote and undertake all major maintenance works.
- Manage communal area cleaning and maintenance works.
- Pay property accounts and statutory charges, including water, council rates, body corporate fees, caretakers, etc.
To find out more about our Community Housing Leasehold Program (CHLP) or Community Housing Leasehold Program (CHLP)
Contact: [email protected]